Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dentist....What A Scary Word

Wow, I finally have a minute to sit down and write something on the computer. It's been an eventful week already. Our next door neighbors, the Seely's, moved out Saturday and we will miss them terribly. It's been so quiet since they left, we feel like we live in a ghost town. They lived here for a short 3 months, but we feel like we've known them forever. I hope, hope, hope a nice family moves in.


Monday, I bottled apple pie filling and applesauce. The pink applesauce is made with red hots. Aren't they pretty? Trina bought a box for me Marie and Shawna last time she was up north and we all helped each other out with the pealing and cutting and cooking and bottling. It's alot of work, and we didn't even have to grow the apples. Thanks to Trina and Marie, they have helped me realize that bottling food is a great way to preserve it and it isn't too difficult, especially when we are able to be of help to each other. They've taught me alot. It's amazing what can happen when you put heads together.

Yesterday, was the dreaded dentist visit for Elizabeth and Kyler. I can honestly say that I could empathize with Liz that morning when she was feeling stress over the idea. Growing up, I hated everything about the dentist, from the smell of the office to the goopy taste of the floride treatments, (artifical strawberry has never tasted the same since). And don't forget the smell and sound of the drill, it still gives me chills. But now that I'm a parent I have to put that in the back of my head and convince my children that the dentist is good for them and is a necessity for their health. So I explained to Liz, while biting my tongue, that the visit will be great and if she is good she can pick out a special prize at Walmart.

I had chosen a pediatric dentist in St. George hoping he would be better for the kids and my peace of mind. It turned out to be a great choice. The lobby was filled with kid-friendly decor, toys, and a cool plamsa screen tv on the wall that was playing Willy Wonka. The x-ray vest even had a friendly smiley face on the front and the kids thought it was cool to wear the sunglasses while the staff cleaned their teeth. The staff was great, they not only made the kids feel comfortable, but also made me feel better as they handled the situation with ease. It can't be an easy job to do what they do everyday, I have to hand it to them.

I'm thrilled to say that my kids are cavity free and I plan to work hard to keep it that way. Liz was very good and didn't protest at all. She chose walkie-talkies for her toy and has been playing with them nonstop since. Kyler got a little golf set and has been practicing his putting skills, making his daddy proud. It turned out to be a great experience, I'm actually looking forward to the next visit. I think my children can say the same thing. But I'm not too sure if the word "dentist" has any better reputation.

3 comments:

Dansie Family said...

what dentist did you use? my kids have appointments at the end of the month, but they are pretty excited. i used a different pediatric dentist last time for porter and it was great. too bad i am not as excited to go.

Jen said...

We'll have to check that dentist out when we're ready.

I love bottling. Call me at peach season. My sister and I go ballistic.

katie said...

How awsome that you got some canning done!! I miss you guys too!I also hope someone good moves in!